For those of you who are part of the ginormous Fbook family, you have more likely than not recently been caught in an insidious web. No, not penis enlargement ads. This isn’t AOL people. There are actually standards now.
No the web of addition I speak of is much more sinister for the fact that it is spread by your friends. Like a bad high school outbreak of the syph, I am talking about the ’25 Things About Me’ note-meme. I had been doing well in holding out, protecting myself from about 11 tags so far and taking refuge in the blogosphere where no one had asked me to do it.
Then Mindy has the go and ruin my happy place. -pout- So here for your reading pleasure are 25 random facts about me that you may or may not know.
- I hate cereal of ALL kinds. When I was a kid, I couldn’t even smell people eating the stuff without feeling my stomach protest this injustice. Sadly, this doesn’t stop me from craving a bowl of dry Cheerios every other blue moon. Usually to the amusement of whoever may be around.
- I also hate most rap today, 50 Cent and Lil Wayne especially. However, if you give me Run DMC, Notorious B. I. G., Public Enemy, NWA, or pretty much any Tupac then I will be very much pleased.
- Despite the fact that I teach Sunday School (something I did under protest), to most conservative Catholics I am not a very good one. This fact has lead me to strongly consider not working with the little kids any more because of the stink their parents are raising over it.
- It makes me sad when I hear people think the only reason I voted for Obama is because I am black or that the only reason someone voted for McCain is because he’s white.
- Growing up, one of my favourite shows was Boy Meets World. Hearing Mr. Feeny saying goodbye after the gang left is what originally made me really think about teaching and showed me exactly what kind of teacher I wanted to be. “Do good.” “Don’t you mean do well?” “No, I mean do good.”
- I have a very long fuse (some would say too long) however when it burns out, there’s no angry yelling. My eyes darken and my tone is very clipped.
- When I went to Italy at 16 and visited the local beach with my friends, they were shocked at how brazen the people were by laying out nude. They were even more shocked when I joined the beachgoers. Bodily modesty is kind of a foreign concept to me.
- When people hear me speak for the first time, they are often surprised. One, I am fairly soft-spoken and two, they seem shocked by a black guy with a southern accent. This leads to hilarity if people hear me try to say the word “breaths” as it sounds like something entirely different.
- If you look at my ratio of close friends, it’s seriously about 7:1 as I can count on one hand the number of close guy friends I have. That’s how a friend either forgot I have a penis or was in the room when she started talking about her period. When this was brought to her attention she looks at me and says, “it’s just Kendall.”
- Apple juice is my favourite drink in the world. Period.
- I have recently discovered an addiction to Grey’s Anatomy thanks to watching part of the first season with Eva. I recognized my addiction when after not being able to remember Mark Wahlberg’s name as I tried to talk about who was in the movie Freedom Writers to Scarlett, I resorted to calling him “McDreamy”. Words cannot express how wrong that felt.
- I am a very affectionate person normally. Alcohol just makes me more so.
- I have played Dungeons & Dragons on several occasions. If only because I have far too much fun acting like a drunken lecherous dwarf.
- I was involved in musical theatre all through high school, first as just spotlighting and then tech manager. My senior year, the lead male broke his leg the night of the second show. As I was the only one who knew the part I had to fill in. The play? Beauty and the Beast.
- I was practically raised in my Nana’s garden and I became very good at tending to flowers, vegetables not so much. I admit without shame that when the garden flooded a few months after she died, I cried.
- I am a big fan of country music, a fact that shocks many people. I tell them it’s because I actually sound good singing most of the songs. To illustrate this point, I’ve won 3 talent shows and placed in 5 others singing country songs. One of which was one I had written myself for Daybreak.
- Speaking of Daybreak, I am hardpressed to find a moment I was more proud of someone that when she told me it didn’t matter that she was a different colour than me. This was after I had to explain to her what the term ‘nigger lover’ meant after someone said it to refer to Eva.
- I do not like The Office or Friends. Pretty much indifferent to Seinfeld. I do however love Scrubs and Will & Grace.
- I can play Linus & Lucy on the piano. The best part about this is that pretty much anyone who hears and recognizes it will break out into the Peanuts dance style.
- I have given up on having a relationship with my father and maternal grandmother. It’s not worth the stress anymore.
- I’ll do pretty much anything for my friends. A few months before the end of our senior year, one of my friends M asked if I would drive her to the nearest abortion clinic. While I disagreed with her decision, I did it because she was good as family. We got there and before I could even open my door she’s curled up against me crying and saying she couldn’t do it. Nine months later, I have my first godchild.
- I can snowboard, ski, surf, rollerblade, skateboard, dance to anything from reggaeton to meringue, and play guitar. Despite all this, whistling has me stumped.
- I have been told I am a very nonjudgemental person. Who told me this? A relatively new female friend. Said friend works as a stripper 5 nights a week to pay her tuition. After I found this out, she asked why I was still friends with her. I ask her if she cared that I was a cook/waiter. She asked why should she. Then two seconds later, she gets where I’m going and cue hug.
- I have read comic books most of my life, pretty much ever since I picked up an issue of Spider-Man years ago. When Captain America died, I remember just staring at the page and thinking this couldn’t be real. Now on my walls is a poster I drew of one of his quotes, that pretty much defines my view of patriotism: “Doesn’t matter what the press says. Doesn’t matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world – ‘No, you move.'”
- Most guys first get the sex talk from their dads, teacher, or older brother. Me, I had the two lesbians I see as my mothers describing techniques, tips, and safety. To this day, Mami will give me helpful hints. I just shake my head.
It’s been a while since I had done a meme. It’s open so anyone who wants to do it can. Just comment with a link to your post when you’re done.
Here’s how it works…Put your iPod or whatever music player you have on shuffle. The first song that you hear will be the song for your Opening Scene. Skip to the next song, this is your next category. Keep doing this until the end.
Opening Scene: Savin’ Me – Nickelback
Show me what it’s like
To be the last one standing
And teach me wrong from right
And I’ll show you what I can be.
Wake Up Scene: This Is How We Do It – Montell Jordan
This is how we do it, all the hands are in the air
And wave them from here to there
If you’re an O. G. mack or a wanna-be playa
Average Day: What Do Ya Think About That? – Montgomery Gentry
Some people care about what other people think
Worry about what they say
Let a little gossip coming from a loose lip
Ruin a perfect day
1st Date: For Good – Wicked (Original Broadway Cast)
I’ve heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well I don’t know if I believe that’s true
But I know I’m who I am today
Because I knew you
Falling In Love: If You’re Reading This – Tim McGraw
If you’re reading this there’s gonna come a day
When you move on and find someone else but that’s okay
Just remember this I’m in a better place
Where soldiers live in peace and angels sing “Amazing Grace”
Fight Scene: 10,000 Fists – Disturbed
People can no longer cover their eyes
If this disturbs you then walk away
You will remember the night you were struck by the sight of
Ten thousand fists in the air!
Break Up Scene: Wasted – Carrie Underwood
I don’t wanna spend my life jaded
Waitin’ to wake up one day and find
That I’ve let all these years go by
Back Together: I Believe I Can Fly – R. Kelly
I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I’m leaning on the everlasting arms
Secret Love: Through Heaven’s Eyes – Disney’s The Prince of Egypt
If a man lose ev’ry thing he owns
Has he truly lost his worth?
Or is it the beginning
Of a new and brighter birth?
Life’s OK: Ready, Set, Don’t Go – Billy Ray Cyrus
This is where I don’t say
What I want so bad to say
This is where I want to
But I won’t get in the way
Of her and her dreams
And spreadin’ her wings
Mental Breakdown: Our Town – James Taylor
Main street isn’t main street anymore
Lights don’t shine as brightly as they shown before
Tell the truth, lights don’t shine at all
In our town
Driving: Everyday (Family Reunion) – Chaka Ghan & Gerald Levert
We should speak
From the heart
And let love be the solution
Let us forgive
And put the past away
No time to wait
The time has come to give love everyday
Learning A Lesson: I Can Go The Distance – Disney’s Hercules
But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part
Because a hero’s strength is measured by his heart
Deep Thought: Fly Me to The Moon – Frank Sinatra
Fill my heart with love
Let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you
Flashback: Find Yourself – Brad Paisley
Well you go through life, so sure of where you’re heading
And you wind up lost and it’s the best thing that could have happened
‘Cause sometimes when you lose your way it’s really just as well
Partying: ABC – Jackson 5
Reading and writing arithmetic
Are the branches of the learning tree
But listen without the root of love, girl
Your education ain’t complete
Happy Dance: My Girl – The Temptations
I’ve got so much honey
The bees envy me
I’ve got a sweeter song
Than the birds in the trees
Regretting: Black Horse & The Cherry Tree – KT Tunstall
Well my heart knows me better than myself
So I’m gonna let it do all the talking
I come across a place in the middle of nowhere
With a black horse and a cherry tree
Long Night Alone: Behind Those Eyes – Three Doors Down
There’s something I can’t see
There’s something different in the way you smile
Behind those eyes you lie
And there’s nothing I can say
‘Cause I’m never gonna change your mind
Behind those eyes you hide
Death Scene: Waitin’ On A Woman – Brad Paisley
I’ve read somewhere statistics show
The man’s always the first to go
And that makes sense ’cause I know she won’t be ready
So when it finally comes my time
And I get to the other side
I’ll find myself a bench, if they’ve got any
I hope she takes her time, ’cause I don’t mind
Waitin’ on a woman.
Closing Credits: This Is Halloween – Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas
This is Halloween, everybody make a scene
Trick or treat till the neighbors gonna die of fright
It’s our town, everybody scream
In this town of Halloween
So I’ve been tagged for a meme by the fabulously random Mich over at
Who Is Mich? whose blog you should totally check out.
Now let’s see…
1. Were you named after anyone?
Both of my names came from my parents. My first name is the english version of my dad’s whereas Kendall has a funny story behind it. My mom was still slightly loopy from the meds and she didn’t know what she wanted my middle name to be. The nurse came in and called her “Kendall” by mistake (her name and mine are only 3 letters different) and she liked it.
Nineteen years later, I’m in the mall with a friend and we hear someone calling my name. We’re looking around trying to figure out who it is when I hear “Mommy!” and a little blond girl comes running up to the woman calling my name. Cue mass amounts of ribbing.
2. Do you still have your tonsils?
Nope, had them removed when I was four or five. I don’t remember if it hurt or not but I remember lots of ice cream.
3. Would you bungee jump?
I’m a wee bit of a thrill seeker so most definitely. It’s where I would bungee from that’s the question.
4. What is your favorite cereal?
To those who didn’t read my Shit List, I’ll reiterate. I absolutely loathe cereal and were I consigned to Hell one of my punishments would be having to eat it every morning. With milk. *shudder* I seriously can barely stand to see people eat it myself.
Sadly, this doesn’t stop me from craving a dry bowl of cheerios every blue moon. A craving I do everything in my power to ignore.
5. Do you untie your shoes when you take them off?
For my tennis shoes, yes. My church boots and flip flops don’t have laces.
6. What is your favorite ice cream?
Strawberry shortcake flavour from Ben & Jerry’s
7. What is the first thing you notice about people?
Their sense of humour, eyes, and voice
8. What is your least favorite thing about yourself?
My at-times abysmal self-confidence. Distant second is my slight eating disorder (not sure if that is actually what is wrong with me or not.)
9. What was the last thing you ate?
A bagel before class on Friday
10. What are you listening to right now?
“For Good” from Wicked. Original Broadway Cast for the win.
11. Last movie you watched?
On my own, it was “The Green Mile”. With someone else, it was “Forrest Gump” with Eva and Daybreak. Hmm, lot of Tom Hanks love this week.
12. What did you dream about last night?
It was a nightmare that I could not wake up from. Think Dawn of the Dead zombies (super strong and fast) with Hills Have Eyes tendencies and motivations (Papa Hades). Now put them in a crowded mall. Yeah, I was freaked.
13. What book are you reading?
I finished New Moon last night and next on my To Read list is A Lion Among Men, the third book in the Wicked series.
14. Summer or winter?
Summer…few clothes, barefoot, beautiful weather, water
Winter…birthday, Christmas, beautiful scenery, cold
Hmm, I can’t decide.
15. Do you have any special talents?
Soy bilingüe. I can tie a cherry stem with my tongue. I can do and hold a hanstand, working on being able to hold it one-handed. I am a great cook. I could probably hold a conversation using nothing but movie quotes. I seem to be able to make even the most serious or depressed person smile and laugh.
Now I tag…
Katie @ I Know This Much Is True
Diane @ Diane’s Addled Ramblings
Lady X (yes I gave you a nickname) @ I’ll Just Keep On Ramblin’
Emily @ e-leet
Summer @ Blogfully Yours
This is from the hilarious ExMi.
Sadly I’m not very creative today, I could only come up with six. Now I must be heading back to work for a few hours. Enjoy the rest of your day folks!
For those of you expecting an election day post, look below. : )
I got tagged to do a photo meme by my friend J over at Little Miss Optimist
Because I’m a bit slow, she gave me the rules very simply. Open up the picture files on your computer, choose the 4th folder, and then the 4th picture. Because I’m not quite stupid enough to post a picture of me drinking a Heineken, I changed my rules. I went to my 5th folder and opened the 5th picture.
This is Eva (with all the bleach washed out) sleeping on my couch with her laptop halfway laying on top of her. I think I had just gotten Daybreak tucked into my bed when I go back into the living room and find this. My poor little nursing student was all tuckered out.
So I’ve been tagged by the fabulous Miss Tiff for a meme.
Here are the Rules:
1.Link to the person that tagged you
2.Post the rules on your blog
3.Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself
4.Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs
5.Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.
Only 6 quirks? But I have so many too choose from! Well, I’ve give it a shot.
- I am a total domestic. I cook for most of my friends on a pretty regular basis, I clean, I sew, and I love children. All of these things make me happy. It’s like I’m preprogrammed to take care of people. Eva constantly jokes that should we ever marry each other, I’d be the ideal stay-at-home dad.
- I have several cat-like tendencies. I will bat at something touching my nose, purr if the back of my neck is rubbed, and find the nearest sunbeam to nap in. This is made even funnier by the fact that I dislike cats.
- I sing. A lot. How much is a lot? Well, it’s not all that uncommon for me to lose my voice.
- As much as I hate admitting it, I am addicted to the Hills. I don’t know why but I like laughing at all their melodrama. Makes me feel better about my own life.
- If you give me apple juice, I will love you forever. If you give me hot chocolate, I will be your slave for life. If you give me strawberry shortcake, I might just pass out in orgasmic bliss on the spot.
- I am claustrophobic. I got stuck in the liberal arts building’s elevator and nearly had a panic attack. We’re talking hyperventilation and everything.